Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dance Interrupted

My husband (I will call him M.) and I have a game we play as we maneuver around the kitchen with various activities. We call it the Dance of the Kitchen Ferrets, and the goal is to accomplish our tasks with graceful interaction and without collision or impeding the other person. It's a pretty good measure of our individual levels of resilience in the moment. Lately, our dance has been relatively tense, more like stalking detente than fluid playfulness.

This is because two months after it started, our house is STILL undergoing remodeling. And lately, even as it nears completion, things have been particularly bumpy. Since our home is our haven from the world, this is very stressful. And this morning, issues left over from last week interfered with my getting ready for work, which translated into crankiness in the kitchen.

The spiritual path I follow (such as it is) has graced me with the insight that what's happening around me is not NEARLY as important as how I respond to it. When I get over my irritation about having no one to blame, it's clear to me that the loving path at 6:04 am is to keep my mouth shut and keep dancing, no matter how I feel. Today I was actually pretty successful, and that made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment